What is Carbon Monoxide
Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless gas that can be toxic in higher concentrations.
Where does Carbon Monoxide come from?
Carbon Monoxide is produced by combustion, including motor vehicles, generators, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, small engines, furnaces, fires, etc.
What are the health effects of Carbon Monoxide?
In the outdoor environment, Carbon Monoxide exposure is hazardous for people with preexisting heart conditions and/or lung disease. In such people, short-term exposure to elevated CO may result in reduced flow of Oxygen to the heart, resulting in the chest pain.
Carbon Monoxide can be deadly at extremely high levels. Carbon Monoxide binds to iron in the lungs, blocking the ability of the blood to bind to and transport Oxygen. In significant enough quantities, CO leads to dizziness, confusion, loss of consciousness and can even lead to death. Typically, levels high enough to cause these symptoms only occur indoors, in garages, or in other enclosed places.